Since 1963, Winston-Salem, North Carolina has been home to Piedmont Craftsmen, Inc., a guild founded by craft artists and collectors to honor the work of its members. Piedmont Craftsmen, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) education and arts organization. Piedmont Craftsmen, Inc. promotes the value of fine craft. We champion the work of exhibiting members, provide education, and create connections among artists, collectors and the community.
Piedmont Craftsmen advocates for excellence in fine crafts, and its member artists. We represent nearly four hundred of the United States's most talented artisans. Exhibiting members are juried into the organization on the basis of their skills and professionalism by a standards committee made up of exhibiting craftsmen and other professionals. Our members’ work includes fine handmade garments, jewelry, one-of-a-kind functional housewares and decorative objects.
True to the mission of our organization, Piedmont Craftsmen provides educational/instructional opportunities for audiences from ages 8 to 80 – working both within our school systems and out in the community – highlighting the materials, processes, and techniques that are specific to each crafts artists’ creative process. We are proud of our long tradition as an organization that brings attention to the vision, spirit, and craftsmanship that are essential elements in the making of artful objects.
Piedmont Craftsmen has five key program areas reaching a wide and diverse audience:
- Education - Through educational outreach programs, Piedmont Craftsmen collaborates with numerous local, regional, and national organizations as well as public and private school systems. Public lectures, demonstrations, and workshops by exhibiting members introduce audiences of all ages, backgrounds and ethnicities to fine crafts.
- Membership - Piedmont Craftsmen has two types of dues-paying memberships – Exhibiting and Supporting. Benefits include tickets to the Piedmont Craftsmen’s Fair in November, discounts on purchases in the Gallery/Shop, invitations to exhibitions, The Craft newsletter, and voting privileges at the annual meeting for the Board of Trustees. Both types of members support Piedmont Craftsmen through volunteer service on committees and on the Board of Trustees.
- Gallery / Shop - located in the heart of Winston-Salem’s Art District at 601 North Trade Street in Winston-Salem, NC. In this space, the organization presents lectures, mounts exhibitions, and maintains a year-round gallery and shop. Our shop carries a wide range of our members’ unique works for sale to the public. Gallery/Shop hours are Tuesday through Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Or visit our on-line retail store.
- Piedmont Craftsmen’s Fair - The annual show held at the M.C. Benton, Jr. Convention & Civic Center in Winston-Salem, NC, is a fundraiser for the organization and a showcase for our artists’ handmade crafts.
- Exhibitions - Piedmont Craftsmen’s exhibiting membership represents a wide range of styles, craft traditions and price points. The organization seeks to provide sales outlets to all of our members through our shop and our gallery. Our exhibitions provide our crafts artists with the opportunity to explore new themes and take risks with limited edition and one-of-a-kind work.